Everyone who enjoys proper BBQ loves dips for Chicken Wings. It’s the best way to make crispy chicken wings taste even better. Here are some of the best sauces for chicken wings for you to try at home.
You can serve your smoked chicken wings with one of these dips, or two (e.g. Ranch Dip and Buffalo Hot Sauce), or even a number of dips so that your guests can enjoy the variety.
- 1 Classic Buffalo Hot Sauce Wings
- 2 Best Dips for Chicken Wings – Korean BBQ
- 3 Best Sauces for Chicken Wings – Homemade Ranch Dip
- Blue Cheese Dip for Chicken Wings
- 5 Teriyaki Dip for Chicken
- 6 Nashville Hot Sauce Dip for Chicken Wings
- 7 Mexican Adobo Sauce Chicken Wings Dip
- 8 Chimichurri Sauce (Argentine BBQ Sauce) Wings Dip
- 9 Honey Garlic Dip for Wings
- 10 Bang Bang Chicken Wings Dip
- FAQ’s About Dips for Chicken Wings
- What Should I Put on My Wings?
- What is the Most Popular Sauce for Wings?
- How Can I make My Chicken Wings Taste Better?
- What Are the Best Dips for Chicken Wings?
You really can’t beat Buffalo Hot sauce with chicken wings, whether you like it mild, medium or extra hot.
At it’s most simple it’s just a combination of Frank’s Hot sauce, but with the addition of a few extra herbs and spices you can take it to the next level.
This is one of the most popular dips for chicken wings, and when you taste it you’ll see why.
This recipe will give you the right balance of sharpness, butteriness and spiciness.
- 1 teaspoon Worcester Sauce
- 8 tablespoons Butter
- ½ cup or 8 tablespoons Tabasco or Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chilli Powder (we like Extra Hot Chilli Powder but add according to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
If you like a milder Buffalo Hot sauce you can also add a little mayonnaise to the mix as well to cool things down.
Simply add all the ingredients to a medium hot pan and cook until the butter has melted and the ingredients have combined. Around 8-10 minutes.
2 Best Dips for Chicken Wings – Korean BBQ
The sweet, spicy, Asian flavours of Korean BBQ are fantastic in this chicken wings dip.
If you haven’t heard of Korean Gochujang paste it’s a paste made from peppers and chillis, and available in most supermarkets. If not, you’ll definitely find it in Asian Grocery stores.
- 3cm Piece of Ginger Peeled & Finely Chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic Peeled & Finely Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of Korean Chilli Paste (Gochujang Paste)
- 2 Tablespoons of Water Mixed with 1 Tablespoon Cornflour/Corn Starch
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 4 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 5 and a half Tablespoons or 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 6 and a half Tablespoons or 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
3 Best Sauces for Chicken Wings – Homemade Ranch Dip
You can serve this ranch dip alongside your Buffalo Dip or on its own. It can have a cooling effect on your tongue if the hot sauce hits you too hard!
Ranch dip has a lovely creamy, mustardy, garlicky but vinegary taste that has you coming back for seconds every time.
Homemade Ranch Dip
1 Clove Finely Chopped Garlic
2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
2 Tablespoons Creme Fraiche
2 Teaspoons Chives Finely Chopped
1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
100g or 1/3 Cup Mayo
1/4 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
Salt & Black Pepper to Taste
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them together. Add your salt and pepper according to taste.
This is another delicious dip that can be served alongside Buffalo Hot Sauce or enjoyed on its own.
It’s tangy, salty and creamy but most of all a very tasty dip for chicken wings.
You can make it in advance and leave it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
- 8 tablespoons or 120ml sour cream
- 4 tablespoons or 50g crumbled blue cheese – we like St Agur or Roquefort
- 8 tablespoons or 120ml mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 minced garlic clove
Optional – serve with fresh celery sticks.
Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl until combined. Leave in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
5 Teriyaki Dip for Chicken
2 Cups or 240ml of soy sauce
1 1/4 Cups or 300ml of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup or 30ml white vinegar
1 Tablespoon of Sake (or rice wine)
Place the ingredients (except the Sake) in a pan over a medium heat. Slowly bring to the boil, and then turn the heat down low to a simmer.
Simmer the sauce until the sugar and spices have dissolved.
Add the Sake or rice wine and leave to infuse for a minute or two. Remove the sauce from the heat and allow to cool.
Place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
You can use fresh garlic and ginger if you wish. You will need to put one clove of garlic and a 5cm piece of peeled ginger in the food processor with two tablespoons of water.
Blitz and add the paste to the simmering sauce.
6 Nashville Hot Sauce Dip for Chicken Wings
Although Nashville Hot sauce has been around for a long time, it has been made world famous fairly recently by KFC.
It’s a thick, sweet, spicy and smoky dip which goes super well with smoked wings.
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 3 tablespoons of cayenne pepper more or less depending on heat preference
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of sweet smoked paprika
- Optional – If you like it extra sweet add 1 tablespoon of honey
7 Mexican Adobo Sauce Chicken Wings Dip
- 1/2 cup Ancho Chilli Powder
- 1 1/4 cups of boiling water
- 8 peeled whole garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground Mexican cinnamon (canela)
- 1 teaspoon of dried Mexican oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 of a teaspoon of ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of coarse salt
If you can’t get Mexican cinnamon or oregano you can substitute ordinary oregano or cinnamon.
Place the Ancho Chilli Powder and boiling water in a food processor.
Pulse until it forms a smooth paste. If the sauce is too thick loosen it with a little water or lime juice if you prefer.
Add the rest of the ingredients and blend to form a thick sauce. Leave to cool then refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
8 Chimichurri Sauce (Argentine BBQ Sauce) Wings Dip
Chimichurri Sauce is a herby, vinegary South American delicacy. It is often called Argentine BBQ sauce and it has the consistency of pesto.
It makes a fantastic dip for chicken wings, amongst its many other uses. You simply blitz the ingredients together in a blender, then leave the sauce in the fridge until you are ready to serve the chicken wings.
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- ½ cup of grapeseed oil
- 2 cups cilantro/coriander leaves
- 2 cups flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 4 cloves of whole peeled garlic cloves
- 1½ teaspoons chilli flakes or 1 fresh jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon of coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
9 Honey Garlic Dip for Wings
This is a really easy dip to prepare, but also really satisfying and tasty.
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup minced or grated garlic
- 3 tablespoons of organic honey
- 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of chilli flakes
Melt the butter in a medium hot pan and then add the minced garlic. Cook for around 2 minutes until the garlic starts to soften.
Be careful not to let the garlic burn as it will become bitter.
Add the other ingredients to the pan (except the vinegar) and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
Finally add the vinegar and remove the pan from the heat.
10 Bang Bang Chicken Wings Dip
With only 4 ingredients and no cooking time this is the one of the easiest dips for chicken wings. That doesn’t mean that it isn’t super tasty though!
Bang bang sauce originated in China where it was often served by street vendors with fried pieces of chicken. It is now popular the world over and served with chicken, fish or prawns.
It tastes creamy and spicy and pairs perfectly with smoky, crispy chicken wings.
- ½ cup or 120ml good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Sriracha Chilli Sauce or similar garlic chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon of organic honey
Optional – a little lime or lemon juice and cayenne pepper/chilli powder if you like extra heat.
All you have to do is add the 4 ingredients together in a small bowl and combine. Delicious and easy!
Place in the fridge until you are ready to serve the wings.
FAQ’s About Dips for Chicken Wings
What Should I Put on My Wings?
If you aren’t sure what dip to serve with chicken wings you could try the classic combination of Buffalo Hot sauce and a creamy dip such as a Blue Cheese dip or Ranch dip.
What is the Most Popular Sauce for Wings?
Most people think of Buffalo Hot sauce when they think of a sauce for chicken wings, but Nashville Hot sauce and Honey Garlic sauce are steadily growing in popularity.
You could cover them in a delicious dry rub and serve them with a tasty sauce such as Chimichurri, Adobo sauce, Buffalo or Bang Bang sauce.
We would also recommend smoking them on the grills for a better all round flavour.
What Are the Best Dips for Chicken Wings?
There are many different types of dipping sauces available, including ranch, blue cheese, barbecue, honey mustard, sweet chili, garlic butter, buffalo sauce, etc. Some people like to dip their wings in a mixture of equal parts mayonnaise and sour cream, while others prefer to use just one type of sauce.
For another good article on dips for chicken wings try here: