For an all things smoker recipes chicken wings related post, look no further. From Piri Piri to Japanese Teriyaki smoked chicken wings recipes, to Chimichurri chicken we have some of the best recipes out there for you right here.
Chicken wings are so versatile and are also undoubtably one of the best meats to smoke.
BBQ Smoker Recipes Chicken Wings Sauces & Ideas
Chicken wings are probably the best appetizer or side dish at any BBQ event. With the addition of some creative and tasty sauce ideas, they might even steal the show altogether.
SAFETY TIP – Always remember the internal temp of chicken wings needs to be 165F (74C) to be safe to eat. To get an accurate reading place your probe in the thickest part of the meat and make sure you aren’t touching any bones.
Chimichurri Smoked Chicken Wings Sauce
Chimichurri sauce (otherwise called Argentinian BBQ sauce) is a slightly spicy, herby sauce that bears some similarity to Italian pesto in texture. It happens to go very well on smoked crispy chicken wings.
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh parsely finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 red chilli finely chopped and deseeded
- 3/4 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Add these ingredients together in a bowl and then marinade chicken wings overnight in the Chimichurri sauce.
Set some of the sauce aside before you add the chicken to sauce the wings after you smoke or grill them the next day.
Smoked Chipotle Mayonnaise for Smoked Chicken Wings
This is definitely one of our favourite dips for chicken wings, or just about anything. It’s spicy, smoky, creamy and slightly sweet. You simply have to try it for yourself at home. It’s dangerously addictive.
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon of smoked chipotle paste (we like extra hot)
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
- sea salt and black pepper to season
Simply combine all the ingredients in a bowl and serve as a dip with your cooked chicken wings. It also works really well on burgers or as a dip for your fries.
For a slightly different take on the mighty Buffalo Hot sauce you really should try this honey hot sauce. It has a delicious, spicy, tangy kick but it also has that edge of sweetness which will take your BBQ chicken wings to the next level.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce/Tabasco Sauce (or try our fermented hot sauce recipe)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a medium-hot pan and stir until the butter melts and the honey has dissolved. Use it to sauce your wings after you have cooked them to crispy perfection.
This delicious recipe calls for baking in the oven, but you may prefer to grill or smoke your wings.
Regardless of how you cook the wings, this sauce is spicy, sweet and delightful.
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or Shaoxing wine
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp or brown sugar or honey
- 1 1/2 tbsps of hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsps of oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup of ketchup
- 1 tbsp of chilli garlic sauce
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
This tasty Traeger recipe will suit people who don’t like their wings to have much heat and prefer a salty sweetness. It’s really delicious and very straightforward.
To make the marinade you combine the water, soy sauce, sugar, scallions, garlic, ginger, oil and rice wine vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring it to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- 2 whole scallions
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
Once the sauce has cooled you marinade your wings in it overnight, and smoke them the next day.
This delicious recipe comes with a blue cheese raita and smoked onions for extra flavour. You only need to marinate the wings for a short time and then grill the chicken wings at a high heat. You will need:
- 1/2 TEASPOON OF GARAM MASALA
- 1 CUP OF GREEK YOGURT
- HOMEMADE CHILI PASTE – 2 TBSP (BLEND 1/2 CUP WHOLE DRIED RED CHILLIES ALONG WITH 1/2 CUP OF WHITE VINEGAR, & A PINCH OF COARSE SALT
- 1 TEASPOON OF TANDOORI MASALA
- 1/4 CUP OF BLUE CHEESE
- 1 BUNCH OF CILANTRO/CORIANDER
- 1 1/2 POUNDS OF CHICKEN WINGS
- 1/2 TEASPOON OF CUMIN POWDER
- FRESH GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 1/4 TEASPOON OF GROUND TURMERIC
- 1/4 CUP OF HALF AND HALF
- 1 LIME
- 1/4 CUP MAYONNAISE
- 1 TABLESPOON MINCED GARLIC
- 1 SMALL WHITE ONION
- 1 TEASPOON SUGAR
If you enjoyed this article you might also like our article on dips for chicken wings.
For an short guide on the internal temp of chicken wings and how to smoke them try here: