This easy Korean BBQ chicken recipe is quick and easy to grill on your choice of grills. Serve it with rice, noodles or even fries for a knockout dinner.
The sweet, fruity and fiery flavours of Korean BBQ are delicious, irresistable and very popular right now. This recipe focuses first on putting the chicken on skewers and grilling it at high heat, but it also gives you instructions for cooking your Korean BBQ chicken in the oven as well.
You have the option of using boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breast for your easy Korean BBQ chicken recipe.
Easy Korean BBQ Chicken Recipe
The following Korean BBQ chicken recipe is easy to make at home but it really delivers on flavour. If you can’t get Korean Gochujang paste you can substitute Sriracha sauce.
Korean BBQ Chicken Marinade
- 1 chicken breast cut into cubes
- ¼ cup of dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of grated Asian pear (use ordinary pear if you can’t get it)
- ¼ cup of good quality honey
- 1 tablespoon of peanut oil (groundnut)
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of gochujang paste (Korean chilli paste)
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- 4 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon of peeled and finely chopped ginger
- optional – 1-2 finely chopped Bird’s Eye chillies
Korean BBQ Chicken Breast Recipe
Place the diced chicken breast into a ziplock bag with all the marinade ingredients and put the bag in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight.
- Take the marinaded chicken out of the fridge about 45 minutes before cooking
- Place the remaining marinade in a pan and bring to the boil for 3-4 minutes
- Preheat your grills to around 450F or 232C
- Thread the chicken pieces onto metal skewers and place onto your grills over direct heat for 10-15 minutes turning the chicken occassionally
- Brush the chicken with the Korean BBQ marinade on both sides during the last few minutes of cooking
- When the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F or 74C remove from the heat and serve with rice, noodles, fries or even a nice green salad
- Optional – garnish with finely chopped scallions and sesame seeds
Korean BBQ Chicken Thigh Recipe
You can substitute diced boneless chicken thighs for chicken breast here. The darker meat of the thighs is juicier although not always to everyone’s tastes.
Easy Korean BBQ Chicken Recipe Oven
The process for cooking your easy Korean BBQ chicken in the oven is very similar to grilling it. Follow these steps for success:
- Take the chicken out of the fridge around 45 minutes before oven cooking
- Place the remaining marinade in a pan and boil it for 3-4 minutes
- Preheat your oven to
- Thread the chicken pieces onto metal skewers and place into a preheated oven at 400F or 204C and cook for around 15 minutes
- Brush the chicken with the Korean BBQ marinade on all sides and cook for a further 5 minutes
- When the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F or 74C remove from the oven and serve with rice, fries, noodles or a green salad
- Optional – garnish with sesame seeds and/or finely chopped scallions.
If you tried this Korean BBQ chicken recipe out at home leave a comment below or tag us on Instagram @bbqgrillshub.
You could also try this article for more on the topic of Korean BBQ chicken.
Try the video below for a great recipe for Korean BBQ chicken wings.