Smoking beef sausage is a great way to add great depth of flavour to your homemade sausages. The process of smoking beef sausage infuses it with delicious smoky layers, and making it at home allows you to really put your own stamp on your smoked sausage.
Table of Contents
Easy Smoked Beef Sausage Recipe to Make at Home
- 2 lbs ground beef (mince)
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (or chilli powder)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cold water or red wine
- Natural pork casings (sometimes called hog casings)
Smoked Beef Sausage Method
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, oregano, thyme and red pepper flakes (if using). Mix well.
- Add the cold water and mix until the sausage is evenly moistened.
- Stuff the sausage into the natural pork casings, making sure to remove any air pockets as you go. You can do this by hand, but it’s much easier to use a sausage making machine – they are inexpensive and you can even get one with a meat grinder so you can grind your beef freshly.
- Place the sausages on to your BBQ smoker or wood pellet grill, making sure to leave enough space between each one for the smoke to circulate.
- Smoke the sausages at 225°F (107C) for 2-3 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F. Beef stands up well to bold smoke flavours like mesquite or hickory, but if you want a milder smoke flavour try apple, cherry or pecan wood.
- Allow the sausages to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. If you use red wine instead or water the beef may appear a little pinky red. This is not a problem provided the internal temperature of the sausage is 160F (71C).
What to Serve with Smoked Beef Sausage
- Mashed Potatoes
- In a Crusty roll with fried onions
- Mac n Cheese
- Potato Salad
- BBQ Beans
- Sausage Pasta Bake
- Puy Lentils
- Green Salad
If you enjoyed this article on smoked sausage, you might like to try this one on making Bratwurst sausages.