If you are looking for an easy smashed potatoes recipes that is super crispy and delicious, then this article is for you.
Garlic and fresh rosemary is such a classic and tasty pairing with roast potatoes, and smashing the potatoes really helps to infuse those lovely flavours further.
If you’d like to see a video of the process try this Instagram link. Tag us if you tried the recipe and you enjoyed it!
Easy Roast Smashed Potatoes Recipe with Garlic and Rosemary
You can do this recipe with any potatoes, but if you use small potatoes you will obviously need more potatoes. as they won’t go as far.
We like a crispy exterior and fluffy interior, so like to use starchier (or more floury) potatoes. Floury potatoes fall apart more easily than waxy potatoes to give a more velvety internal texture.
More waxy potatoes are great too but aren’t quite as fluffy inside – this is because they are firmer and hold their shape better. Use waxy potatoes if you like a more robust roast potato.
Smashed Potatoes Ingredients
- 6-8 Medium-Sized Potatoes (if you want fluffy potatoes go for a high starch content) Skin On
- A Whole Garlic Bulb – Cloves Peeled and Left Whole
- A Large Sprig of Fresh Rosemary Leaves Picked and Finely Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of Good Quality Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Fine Sea Salt
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
How to Make Smashed Potatoes Oven Method
- Wash the Potatoes and Add to Boiling Water with Tablespoon of Salt for 25-30 Minutes
- Meanwhile Chop Rosemary Finely and Peel Garlic Cloves
- Turn your Oven up to 200C (392F)
- Drain Potatoes in a Colander and Add to a Preheated Baking Tray
- Smash Each Potato using the Bottom of a Glass or Burger Press (to stop the potatoes sticking set a piece of parchment paper on top before pressing)
- Add the Whole Garlic Cloves, Chopped Rosemary and Season with Salt and Pepper
- Drizzle Over Olive Oil and Add the Butter
- Place in the Oven for around 30 minutes Until Crispy and Golden
Can I Make Smashed Potatoes in the Air Fryer?
Yes you can. In fact the air fryer is particularly good at crisping potatoes up. You don’t need to boil the potatoes first, just wash them and place them in the air fryer for around 15 minutes until they are fully cooked.
Remove the potatoes and smash them carefully. Drizzle over some olive oil, add seasonings and return them to the air fryer for another 15 minutes or so until golden and crispy.
Peeled VS Skin On Smashed Potatoes
For best results skin on potatoes are best for smashing. You can peel the potatoes, boil them and then lightly smash them but be careful they don’t fall apart.
If you want to peel your smashed potatoes use waxy potatoes which are firmer and hold their shape better. Obviously leaving the skin on is always going to make for a crispier crunchier result, but you will get some golden crispiness this way too.
Are Smashed Potatoes Healthy?
Skin on potatoes contain potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 as well as folate (folic acid or Vitamin B9). They also contain dietary fibre (mostly in the skin), carbohydrates, some protein and hardly any fat.
If you want to make your smashed potatoes more healthy leave out the butter, use a low calorie Olive Oil spray, and decrease the amount of salt added. The result won’t be quite as crispy, but it will be healthier.
What to Serve with Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Potatoes are so versatile they go with almost anything, but if you need a few ideas try these out:
- Smoked Venison Roast
- Smoked Chicken Thighs
- Smoked Tomahawk Steak
- Grilled Smashed Burgers
- Traeger Smoked Pork Tenderloin