There are few things more popular to smoke than BBQ recipes for chicken.
Chicken and barbecue have gone hand in hand since the invention of BBQ (which was about 1.8 Million years ago with our ancestors cooking with fire apparently).
Here are our best BBQ recipes for chicken, along with a few BBQ tips, tricks and recommendations just for fun.
- BBQ Recipes for Chicken Wings – Ingredients
- BBQ Recipes for Chicken Wings – Method
- BBQ Recipes for Chicken Wings – The Perfect Blue Cheese Dip
- BBQ Recipes for Chicken Spatchcocked
- BBQ Chicken Recipes – Sweet Chilli Lime Chicken – Ingredients
- BBQ Recipes for Sweet Chilli Lime Chicken – Method
- BBQ Recipes for Chicken – Sweet Chilli Lime – Ingredients
- BBQ Recipes for Chicken On the Smoker
- More BBQ Recipes for Chicken….
- BBQ Chicken Drumsticks – Ingredients
- BBQ Chicken Drumsticks – Method
BBQ Recipes for Chicken Wings – Ingredients
Barbecue Chicken Wings are an absolute winner of a snack. This is our top tried and tested recipe for parties, families or a perfect couples night in.
Perfect for Around 20 Chicken Wings
- 1/4 teaspoon Extra Hot Chilli Powder (according to taste)
- A shot of Bourbon (just because you can)
- 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 125g of Plain Flour (or 1 Cup)
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 20 chicken wings 290g BBQ sauce(1 cup) Check our article on ‘How to Make BBQ Sauce.’
- 170g honey(1/2/ cup)
- A Splash of Tabasco Sauce
BBQ Recipes for Chicken Wings – Method
- Light your BBQ 30-40 minutes in advance of cooking your chicken wings
- In a bowl, combine flour, extra hot chilli powder, pepper, salt, sweet smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Coat your 20 chicken wings evenly in the flour shaking off any excess.
- Put your floured wings directly onto your BBQ grills and cook until brown and crispy. You may need to do this in batches.
- In another bowl, combine the shot of Bourbon with the BBQ sauce and the honey. Dip a brush into the mix and coat your BBQ chicken wings as they cook on the grills.
- If you need to keep your BBQ Chicken Wings warm until they are ready to serve, put them back into the oven at around 100°C.
BBQ Recipes for Chicken Wings – The Perfect Blue Cheese Dip
- 100g Blue Cheese (We love St Agur but any good quality one will do)
- 150ml soured cream
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 50g mayonnaise
- Sticks of Celery to serve
BBQ Recipes for Chicken Spatchcocked
The most efficient way to cook a whole chicken on the BBQ is of course to make sure it is spatchcocked. You can get your butcher to do this or you can do it yourself.
Check this link to help you spatchcock it yourself.
Much like butterflying a single chicken fillet (cutting it in two, spreading it out but making sure the two pieces are still attached) spatchcocking allows the chicken to cook on the inside and outside much more quickly.
It also allows you to get your bbq sauce marinade into every nook and cranny of your whole chicken. Again you can check our article, “How to Make BBQ Sauce’ out to help.
You can slow cook your whole chicken at around 110 C for 2-3 hours in your bbq or smoker to make sure the meat is beautifully moist and tender.
Apple wood chips added to your burning coals bring extra bonus flavours.
You can also cook your spatchcocked chicken in the oven at 180 Degrees C for 1-2 Hours and finish it off on the BBQ, for around 40 mins.
BBQ Chicken Recipes – Sweet Chilli Lime Chicken – Ingredients
96g or 3/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
43g or 1/3 cup soy sauce
Juice of 2 limes
Thinly chopped spring onions (or chives) to serve
4 chicken breasts
Lime wedges to serve
BBQ Recipes for Sweet Chilli Lime Chicken – Method
- Whisk together chilli sauce, lime juice, and soy sauce. Set aside 32g or 1⁄4 cup marinade.
- Add chicken to a plastic bag or Ikea bag and pour in your marinade. For best results marinate in your fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Fire up your BBQ when you are ready to cook. As long as it’s hot enough you can grill your chicken at 8 minutes per side. Pour over your reserved marinade to keep it moist.
- Use the lime wedges and spring onions to serve. Coriander leaves are also a definite option.
BBQ Recipes for Chicken – Sweet Chilli Lime – Ingredients
- 1/4/ Extra Hot Chilli Powder (or more if needs be)
- 1½ heaped teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons best quality honey
- 3 tablespoons organic ketchup
- 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon good quality olive oil
- 4 x 120 g skinless organic chicken breasts
BBQ Recipes for Chicken On the Smoker
- Light Your BBQ 30 minutes in advance
- Finely grate the orange zest into a shallow bowl. Add the chilli Powder, sweet smoked paprika, Dijon mustard, honey, organic ketchup, a splash of Worcestershire sauce and a further splash of quality olive oil.
- Make sure to season with a pinch of freshly ground salt and pepper. Now you can spoon out a few tablespoons of your marinade to set aside.
- Put your chicken breasts into your bowl with the marinade you have set aside. Make sure that they are well coated, cover with some clingfilm and then let them sit until your BBQ is hot enough.
- When your BBQ is hot enough you can put your lovely marinated chicken onto the grill, and cook it for roughly 8 minutes on each side. Longer if your chicken breasts are larger.
- Use your left over marinade to serve with your chicken, allowing your guests to spoon out as much extra as they like.
The result will be spectacular. The chicken will be moist, flavoursome and most importantly chargrilled to perfection.
The tasty marinade will help to create those lovely caramelised, crispy sticky bits on your chicken we all know and love.
More BBQ Recipes for Chicken….
BBQ Chicken Drumsticks – Ingredients
Chilli powder (as hot as you can take)
Sweet Smoked paprika
Freshly Ground Salt & Pepper
4 Tbsps of Bbq sauce (your own or try our BBQ sauce recipe)
2 Crushed Garlic Cloves
Thumb-sized Piece of Fresh Ginger Peeled and Chopped
Juice of half a lime
Dash of Tabasco Sauce (according to taste)
Dash of Worcester Sauce
1 Tbsp of Olive oil
12 Chicken Drumsticks
Using fresh ginger and garlic (rather than ground ginger and garlic powder) makes a massive difference to the flavour.
However if you don’t have the fresh stuff, we won’t tell if you use a teaspoon of garlic powder and one of ground ginger.
BBQ Chicken Drumsticks – Method
Get your Barbecue or Smoker fired up 30-40 minutes before you want to cook. You’ll want it at a moderate heat.
Put all your ingredients in a bowl (except the chicken) and mix together into a marinade.
Add your chicken drumsticks to the bowl and coat them evenly in your marinade.
Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge for at least 30mins. The longer the better.
When you are ready to cook your drumsticks place them on the grills. They will take around 40minutes turning halfway through.
You’ll need to move the drumsticks around a little cook them all evenly.
Make sure your charcoal is in a mound shape with the most amount of heat in the centre of your BBQ. Move the drumsticks from the hot centre to the cooler parts around the outside.
If you think they are getting too dry while cooking, brush with a little oil or lime juice.
Serve with Blue Cheese Dip above, and perhaps some suitably scorched and barbecued corn on the cob.
If you enjoyed this article you could try our ‘Chicken Wings on BBQ Recipe.’
Or our ‘How to Make BBQ Sauce Easy Guide.’
You may also enjoy ‘Smoker Recipes for Chicken.’
For another great article on BBQ Recipes for Chicken try here: