If you need an easy pizza Detroit style recipe to cook in your Ooni oven try this one on for size.
You only need a rectangular heatproof pan, your Ooni (or whatever pizza oven you have) and a few basic ingredients.
What is Detroit Style Pizza?
Pizza Detroit style is done in a rectangular pan which develops a tasty, crunchy crust which is surprisingly delicious. The cheese is placed directly on the dough, the toppings come next and then the pizza sauce is usually added last, in 2-3 lines along the length of the pizza (almost like racing stripes).
Detroit style pizza is usually cut into squares with the most prized ones being the 4 corner slices where the cheese makes the crusts dark, crispy and delicious.
Easy Pizza Detroit Style Recipe in the Ooni
Detroit Style Pizza Dough
- 1 KG Tipo 00 (Caputo 00 Flour is recommended)
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Yeast
- 600ml Warm Water (400ml Cold Water to 200ml Boiling Water)
- 4 Teaspoons of Salt
This will make around 8-10 medium sized pizzas.
Detroit Pizza Dough Method
- Add the salt, water and yeast together first and stir – leave to combine for a few minutes.
- Place the 1 KG Tipo 00 Flour in a large bowl, and add the salt, water and yeast mixture to the flour.
- Knead the dough in the bowl with wet hands until you have a large smooth ball.
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface, and knead for another 10 minutes or so.
- Return the dough to the bowl, sprinkle over a little more flour, and cover with clingfilm. For best results leave for at least 12 hours to prove, preferably 2-3 days in the fridge. If you are short on time give it at least an hour at room temperature to double in size.
Detroit Pizza Sauce
- 1 tin good quality plum tomatoes
- 1 whole garlic clove
- A handful basil leaves
- Blitz in a blender until smooth e.g. Nutribullet. If you like a chunky sauce just pulse it a few times.
Detroit Pizza Method
- Oil a rectangular metal pan and leave 300g of your dough to prove in it for 30+ mins.
- Add pepperoni first onto the dough, then mozzarella cheese and top with pizza sauce to cover. See the video to help.
- Cook In the Ooni oven on high heat for 15 minutes or so turning regularly for an even cook. Keep the pan close to the front of the oven so the pizza doesn’t burn too much.
Detroit Pizza Topping Ideas
- Strong Brick Cheese (considered authentic for Detroit pizza)
- Italian Sausage, peppers and onions
- Bacon and Mushroom
- Caramelised red onions and goat’s cheese
- Beetroot, goat’s cheese & honey
- Pulled pork
- Hot sauce
Watch the process on our Instagram video. This recipe used mushrooms, shallots & BBQ sauce for a veggie pizza, but you can use whatever toppings suit you best.
If you would like try a Chicago style deep dish pizza in the Ooni, try here: