Here at BBQ Smoker Grill Blog we love our recipes with smoked chicken breast.
Something about that smoky, tender chicken breast is so good that you barely need to do much more with it.
It’s so versatile it almost pairs well with anything.
Here are our favourite recipes with smoked chicken breast for you to enjoy at home.
- Recipes With Smoked Chicken Breast 1 – Chicken Breasts in the Smoker
- Recipes With Smoked Chicken Breast 2 – Classic Club Sandwich
- Recipes With Smoked Chicken Breast 3 Tandoori Chicken
- Recipes with Smoked Chicken Breast 4 – Char Siu Chicken with Beijing BBQ Sauce
- Recipes With Smoked Chicken Breast 5 – Chicken Tikka Kebabs
- Smoked Chicken Breast Recipes 6 – Maple Chipotle Chicken
- Smoked Chicken Breast Recipes 7 – Chipotle Chicken Burritos
- Recipes with Smoked Chicken Breast 8 – Loaded Smoked Chicken Nachos
- Recipes with Smoked Chicken Breast 9 – Creole Style
- Recipes with Smoked Chicken Breast 10 – Smoked Chicken with Soba Noodles
Recipes With Smoked Chicken Breast 1 – Chicken Breasts in the Smoker
Let’s start off with a recipe for chicken breast in the smoker and go from there.
You’ll need to brine your chicken breasts overnight, dust them all over with a dry rub and then smoke them low and slow at 225°F for 3-4 until an internal temperature of 165°F is reached.
Brine For Smoked Chicken
- 3/4 cup of sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Enough cold water to cover chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- Optional herbs – fresh thyme or rosemary
- Optional – 1 Lemon cut in two
Smoked Chicken Rub
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon finely ground sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
Recipes With Smoked Chicken Breast 2 – Classic Club Sandwich
This is a delicious and easy recipe with smoked chicken.
You make a mayonnaise mix with creme fraiche, chives and mayo to spread on the toasted white bread, and arrange the chicken, bacon, lettuce club style with the other vegetables and mustard.
It may well be one of the best lunches you ever have!
- 2 chicken fillets
- 6 slices of crispy fried bacon
- 3 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ bunch of chives
- 1 lime
- 1 sliced boiled egg
- coarse sea salt
- 6 slices of toasted white bread
- 3 heaped tablespoons of crème fraîche
- ¼ chopped red cabbage
- ¼ chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1 sliced beef tomato
- ¼ cucumber shredded into ribbons
- 2 heaped tablespoons of coarse mustard
Recipes With Smoked Chicken Breast 3 Tandoori Chicken
Tandoori chicken is traditionally cooked in a tandoori oven over hot charcoal, making it a perfect thing to cook in the BBQ smoker.
This recipe calls for chicken thighs, but we far prefer using chicken breast.
The chicken is marinated overnight and then smoked at 325°F until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
A perfect starter or main mixed with rice or salad.
- 3 pounds chicken
- 2 tablespoons or 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 2 cups of plain yogurt
- 1/2 grated onion
- 3 teaspoons of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of tumeric
- 1 teaspoon or ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
Recipes with Smoked Chicken Breast 4 – Char Siu Chicken with Beijing BBQ Sauce
We usually think of Char Siu Pork rather than chicken, but chicken works just as well.
The chicken is stuffed with Chinese sausage, Jack pepper cheese, ham, sliced shiitake mushrooms, and scallions, and then cooked on the grills at a medium heat for around 50 minutes.
It’s served with a delicious, sweet Chinese BBQ sauce.
If you don’t want to stuff chicken thighs, chicken breasts are better as far as we are concerned anyway.
Chinese BBQ Sauce
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of rice wine
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon 5 spice powder
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
An extremely tasty and different dish for smoked chicken.
Recipes With Smoked Chicken Breast 5 – Chicken Tikka Kebabs
You marinade the chicken pieces in a yoghurt based blend and then smoke them on skewers at a high heat of 300°C or 600°F.
The kebabs cook quickly at high heat, but they go crispy on the outside, sealing the moisture in and taking on the lovely charcoal flavours.
Effectively you are simulating a Tandoori oven with your smoker.
If your smoker doesn’t go that high, or you want more smoke flavour, just smoke them at a lower temperature for longer – at 250°F for around 2 hours.
Aim for an internal temperature of 165°F.
Again the suggestion is chicken thigh pieces, but we recommend chicken breast.
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 fresh red chillies
- 2 Onions skins removed
- 5 cloves peeled garlic
- 250ml or 2 cups of natural yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
The ingredients are blended in the food processor, added to the chicken and left in the fridge overnight.
Serve with rice and naan or place into the curry sauce of your choice.
Smoked Chicken Breast Recipes 6 – Maple Chipotle Chicken
We’ve mentioned this recipe in other articles, but in case you missed it here it is again.
The sweet, spicy maple flavours are just that good, it deserves another mention.
Expect to cook your chicken breasts for around 3 hours at 250°F over a mix of hickory, maple and peach chips until the internal temperature is around 165°F.
The breasts are rubbed all over with a maple, chipotle and seasonings mix, placed in the smoker and brushed with maple syrup every hour.
- 4-5 chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons of chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, & extra for basting
Smoked Chicken Breast Recipes 7 – Chipotle Chicken Burritos
Once you have smoked your chicken breasts you will ready to serve them Mexican style in burritos.
An absolutely fantastic way to use smoked chicken.
Smoked Chicken Burritos
- 1 can of drained fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 chipotle chilli pepper in adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon of coarse salt
- 3 cups or 600g of cooked rice
- 1 lime, zested & 1/2 lime juiced
- ⅓ cup or 15g fresh cilantro/coriander
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 cup or 100g of shredded Monterey jack cheese
- ⅓ cup or 65g Pico de Gallo
- ½ oz or 155g of sliced avocado
- ⅓ cup or 80g of sour cream
Recipes with Smoked Chicken Breast 8 – Loaded Smoked Chicken Nachos
This is one of our go to snacks or starters and perfect for sharing.
The cheese sauce to go with them is just knockout.
Nacho Cheese Sauce:
- ½ cup of whole milk
- ½ cup Mexican beer
- 2 tablespoons of pickled jalapeño brine
- 1½ cups or 226g of shredded white cheese
- 1½ teaspoons sodium citrate
- 8oz or 226g tortilla chips
- ¼ cup of cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of shredded smoked chicken
- thinly sliced radish
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- ¼ cup sliced pickled jalapeños
- fresh cilantro/coriander
- sour cream
Next level nachos.
Recipes with Smoked Chicken Breast 9 – Creole Style
The chicken breasts are marinaded overnight, and then smoked slow and low at 250°F for around 3 hours until an internal temp of 165°F.
- 1 ½ cups of chicken broth/stock
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon of liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 2 finely sliced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Creole Mustard
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon Texas Pete Pepper Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- ½ teaspoon tapioca flour sifted
Recipes with Smoked Chicken Breast 10 – Smoked Chicken with Soba Noodles
This is a really simple, flavoursome way to serve smoked chicken. The miso, sesame, and ginger flavours go so well with the smokiness of the chicken.
You prepare the dressing first by combining the rice vinegar, soy sauce, miso, sesame oil, sesame seeds and ginger.
The you cook the soba noodles in boiling water while frying the vegetables and chicken in the wok or pan.
Simply add the cooked noodles to the pan with the chicken and veg and drizzle over the delicious dressing.
Serve straightaway in bowls while still hot.
1 ½ tablespoons of light soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoons of rice vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons of sesame oil
1 ½ teaspoons of toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 ½ tablespoons of white miso
¼ pound of Chinese pea pods, cut in half
¾ pound of smoked chicken cubed
2 sliced scallions
¼ pounds of cooked soba noodles
2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro/coriander
Ultimate comfort food!
FAQ’s About Recipes With Smoked Chicken Breast
How Many Chicken Breasts Are in a Pound?
Raw chicken breasts are often sold in a pack of 4 weighing around a pound or 454g. They will lose weight during cooking so you may want to aim for 5 cooked chicken breasts to a pound to make sure you have at least that weight in chicken meat.
Can You Smoke Chicken Breast at 225°F?
Yes, 225°F is great temperature for smoking chicken slow and low. At this temperature it will take around an hour to come up to the target internal temperature of 165°F.
Do I Need to Cook Smoked Chicken Breast?
If the chicken has been hot smoked to an internal temperature of 165°F then it is already cooked. You may need to reheat it to serve.
If you enjoyed this article you might also enjoy ’10 Fun Chicken in the Smoker Recipes.’
Or our ‘Smoked Chicken Wings Recipes.’