While most people commonly think about smoking brisket, fewer people have probably heard of a smoked trisket recipe, as in the Tri Tip steak cut treated as if it was brisket.
This smoked trisket recipe will give you some seriously flavourful, tender, smoky meat in a lot less time than smoked brisket, and it will cost you less money too.
Smoked Trisket Recipe – Treating a Tri Tip Like a Brisket
- Smoked Trisket Recipe – Treating a Tri Tip Like a Brisket
- What is Trisket Meat?
- How Long Does it Take to Smoke a Trisket?
- How do you Smoke a Trisket?
- FAQ’s About Smoked Trisket
- Should Tri-Tip be Smoked?
- What Should I Serve with Smoked Trisket?
- Is Smoking Tri Tip the Same as Brisket?
- What is Trisket?
- Tri Tip Smoked Like Brisket Meat Church
- Pellet Smoker Meat Recipes
- How Long to Smoke Tri Tip at 250F (121C)?
- Smoking Meat
- Smoked Foods
What is Trisket Meat?
Simply put a trisket is a tri tip steak which is smoked like a brisket would be. It’s treated like a brisket, hence the hybrid word tri-sket.
It takes a lot less time than a brisket because you don’t need all that time to break down the tough connective tissue of the brisket cut. The end result is similar to smoked brisket but it’s done in half the time.
How Long Does it Take to Smoke a Trisket?
If you smoke your trisket at 250F (121C) it will take between 5-6 hours to bring it to an internal temperature of 200-205F (93-121C) depending on the size of the meat.
How do you Smoke a Trisket?
- Preheat your smoker to 250°F (121°C).
- Trim the excess fat and silver skin from the Tri Tip – a fat cap will keep the meat moist so don’t go overboard here.
- Season the ‘trisket’ with your favourite BBQ dry rub, making sure to coat it evenly.
- Let the meat sit at room temperature for about 20-30 minutes to allow the rub to penetrate the meat. Do this while your smoker is coming up to temperature
- Place the trisket on the smoker rack and smoke it for approximately 4-5 hours altogether, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 200-205°F (93-96°C).
- After about 2-3 hours of smoking, wrap the Trisket in aluminum foil or butcher’s paper to keep it moist and prevent it from drying out. (just as you would a brisket)
- Continue smoking until the meat is tender and falls apart easily with a fork.
- Remove the trisket from the smoker and let it rest for about 20-30 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Slice against the grain of the meat – be aware that the grain runs in 2 different directions on a tri tip – the pointy end and the flat need to be cut differently – see the diagram below to help.
Some additional tips:
- Use a meat thermometer to monitor the internal temperature of the meat throughout the smoking process.
- In terms of wood options hickory, oak, or mesquite are good choices. Beef has a bold flavour that won’t be at all overpowered by stronger smoke flavours.
- If you want an even crispy exterior, you can unwrap the Trisket for the last 30-60 minutes of smoking to allow the bark to develop.
- Optional – dry brine the tri trip steak in coarse salt and pepper for 2+ hours in the fridge (preferably overnight) to enhance the flavour.
FAQ’s About Smoked Trisket
Should Tri-Tip be Smoked?
You can grill or roast a Tri Tip just like other steak cuts but smoking it definitely imparts extra flavour.
What Should I Serve with Smoked Trisket?
- Fries (sweet potato or potato)
- Green Salad
- Mashed Potatoes
- Mac and Cheese
- Plenty of Veg e.g. Cauliflower, Broccoli, Green Beans
- Corn Ribs
Is Smoking Tri Tip the Same as Brisket?
Smoked Tri Tip steak is as close as you can get to smoked brisket. Smoked Brisket takes around 10-12 hours in the smoker but smoked Tri Tip steak (smoked trisket) takes a lot less time, and you can serve it medium rare unlike brisket.
This beef cut also costs less than beef brisket which has rocketed up in price due to demand.
What is Trisket?
Trisket is a Tri Tip steak treated as if it were a beef brisket. The beauty of tri tip steak is in the fact that it costs less than beef brisket, cooks much more quickly and can even be served medium rare.
Tri Tip Smoked Like Brisket Meat Church
Meat Church have a great approach to smoking Tri Tip Steak as if it was a Brisket. See Below.
Pellet Smoker Meat Recipes
If you are looking for more information on cooking meats on the pellet smoker try the link.
How Long to Smoke Tri Tip at 250F (121C)?
If you would like more information on smoking meat, try the article below.
For more ideas on smoked foods try the article below.
You can watch the smoked trisket process on our Instagram account below.